The key to being able to manage through a sudden event that affects the safety of your family or your home is to anticipate as much as you can before an emergency strikes. When faced with a crisis, it’s hard to think straight. and some advanced planning reduces the need to problem-solve under pressure.
Around the house
- Make an Emergency Plan. Everyone who lives in the house should know and understand their roles and responsibilities during specific types of situations. Include meeting instructions for anyone who is not at home when an emergency occurs.
- Prepare and practice a special Plan for anyone in your home who has a disability, is a senior, or has other special needs.
- Keep a copy of your Plan in a safe place in your home, as well as at least one copy outside your home so that you can always access it when the need arises.
- Have an emergency kit ready with supplies for each member of your household.
- Practice emergency escapes from your home regularly so no one panics when a real crisis occurs.
- Keep a list of emergency numbers by your main phone and programmed into everyone’s mobile device. A copy of the same numbers should also be part of your Emergency Plan.
- Keep a small supply of cash somewhere secure in case you cannot access an ATM.
- Consider purchasing a back-up generator to maintain power in the event of an extended outage (this can be a portable generator or one that is hard-wired into your electrical panel).
When faced with an emergency
- Remain calm.
- Use your plan!
- Take care of your family first and then find out what you can do to help your neighbours or local community.
Let us help
If you are not sure about the coverage you have for emergencies, ask your Broker to review your policy with you. As well, talk to your Broker about having one of Grenville Mutual’s Risk Assessment Specialists visit to identify situations that might cause harm to your family, or damage or potential loss to your home.
For more information and resources to assist your emergency planning, visit https://www.getprepared.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/yprprdnssgd/index-en.aspx.