Is Your Home Keeping Pace with Your Electricity Needs?

Home Insurance, Loss Prevention

Today, with so many electrical appliances, connected devices, electronics, and special lighting available to us, it is doubtful that any of us lives a minimalist lifestyle.

Just like you, your home must keep up with those energy needs by safely providing the electricity that your modern lifestyle demands.

Your home’s electricity is supplied by the electrical panel. Newer homes have breaker panels that have been properly rated to regulate the electricity you need. But older properties may still have fuse box panels, which may date to the mid-1950s. So, if you have a fuse box panel in your home chances are it’s been in place for the last 60 years.

What you should know

  • Older fuse box panels may not meet the needs of today’s homeowner.
  • Older fuse box panels can be unsafe. When the wiring in a building is overloaded with too many appliances drawing current, it overheats and can start a fire in the walls and attic.
  • The safest approach is to replace the old fuse panel with a breaker panel that can evolve with your needs and keep you safe.
  • MOST IMPORTANT: Only a qualified electrical contractor should attempt any work on an electrical system.

What your insurance company looks for

Fuse box panels can be made safer with the installation of safety rings, sometimes called fuse rejectors. Once installed by an electrician, the fuse rejector prevents the wrong size of fuse from being used. Using an improper size of fuse can lead to a fire.

While your insurer may still provide coverage for your home if you have a fuse box panel, they will likely ask for an electrician’s report verifying that the wiring system is safe and Building Code compliant. Or, if your home was built before 1976, you may be asked for an ElecCheck inspection. More information can be found here:

Want to be sure? Check with your Broker to see if your property is adequately protected if you have a fire. And, remember to keep your Broker up to date on any changes you make to your business or home to ensure your coverage is adequate in the event of a claim.